Rotax STC

Discussion off all the ADs.

Rotax STC

Postby frfly172 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Avweb has a good interview with Kieth on the STC for Rotax 912 certified aircraft.He believes the stc will be ready this year for any refits if interested.He also believes some buyers may choose it over the fadec cont. due to ability to use auto gas.
frfly172

Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Re: Rotax STC

Postby nigelhb » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:48 pm

I think that the Rotax option is really good for the countries to the north of Australia, as Avgas is nearly impossible to get. I'm waiting to hear what the performance figures are. Back in December 07 I flew a Rotax 914 turbo powered Liberty with a two blade MT constant speed prop at the factory. Its performance was very similar to the FADEC powered model, but it had a very crude air intake for the radiator cooling which would have added some drag. The problem with the 914 is that it is very expensive and has only 1200 hours TBO, therefore the long term figures do not compute too well. Liberty were looking at doing some tests with the new Lycoming 223, which has 115hp for take off, and Paul Bartlett was concerned whether that would be enough so as to not increase the take off roll too much. So how will the Liberty do with a 100hp Rotax if the MTOW remains the same as Keith Markley implied? The disadvantage of the Lycoming is that it is not FADEC, the advantage is that it will be certified later this year apparently for multi fuel use. I still want to see a Liberty with a constant speed prop! Nigelhb.
nigelhb

Based: YLEG, Australia
Tail Number: LXL
Certificates Held: CPL IFR

Postby NylonStringNinja » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:10 pm

NylonStringNinja

Based: K
Tail Number: N
Certificates Held: Student

Postby KD8COO » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:59 am

nigelhb wrote:The disadvantage of the Lycoming is that it is not FADEC, the advantage is that it will be certified later this year apparently for multi fuel use. I still want to see a Liberty with a constant speed prop! Nigelhb.

I wouldn't count that as being a disadvantage. I'd love to have an XL2 without FADEC.

A constant speed prop would be nice, but how much weight would that add?
KD8COO

Based: KTDZ
Certificates Held: Private Pilot ASEL/Instrument Airplane

Postby frfly172 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:27 pm

By the time most of us will need an engine overhaul I think there may be more non fadec choicesulti fuel choice would be nice.just a thought.Ron
frfly172

Postby N645XL » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Personally I've been extremely pleased with the TCM IOF-240B. Performance has been super and for those who've read my previous posts, I've had the airplane at 13,999+ feet and it still has respectable cruise and flight control performance. After flying nearly 5 hours to Montgomery AL dodging wx, I topped off the tank and it only took 24 gallons. Liberty has a winner as far as I'm concerned. If 100LL becomes an issue I'll look at my options then.

It's puzzling and unfortunate that a couple aircraft seem to be having issues. Those couple seem to be the exception. Hopefully you can break the code and get them purring.

I'm very pleased Liberty is selling aircraft in any market. It's still tough out there. A strong company is good for all of us. Hopefully they'll continue to ensure we in the domestic market get a few bones thrown our way with the occasional upgrade (like an external 12v power plug). :-)

As always, I enjoy hearing from the rest of the owners.
Bob (n645xl@earthlink.net)
N645XL

Based: I19
Tail Number: N645XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Postby tatsails » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:41 am

As a newbie to this board, and a low time pilot, I thought I would throw out my 2 cents. The fadec system is one the main reasons that I love the Liberty. Everything that we can do to reduce pilot workload is beneficial to (at least) low timers. I was sorry to see that Liberty is changing to Rotax, however if that helps the company survive I support the decision. The fadec concept seems solid to me and evolution is inevitable. In the mean time, I am comfortable knowing that the redundant fadec technology is currently helping to manage engine efficiencies while I am building time on N609XL

Tom
tatsails

Based: KDKB
Tail Number: N609XL
Certificates Held: ppl

Postby frfly172 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:08 am

The Fadec Cont will still be the engine of choice ,the Rotax is going to be offered for those that want to use auto fuel.The factory says the difference between the engines will probably only be 1K since the rotax will be the certified rotax.Sorry for any misunderstanding.
frfly172

Postby desmdpc » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:26 pm

For those concerned about fuel incompatibilities with the FADEC system - should 100LL disappear, new bolt-on boxes (ECUs) would allow the IOF 240B to fly with a different fuel, by appropriately changing injection timing, spark advance etc. THis was actually one of the reasons I purchased the plane - it indeed will be compatible with any new fuel brought to market here in the US.

daniel

sn 030
desmdpc

Location: KMGJ Orange County Airport (Montgomery - Hudson Valley) NY
Based: KMGJ
Tail Number: N57NY
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Postby Oldboldpilots » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Can someone confirm that a new ECU to cope with an unleaded fuel will be available from Continental and the likely cost of the exchange ECU

Regards

Steve.
Oldboldpilots

Based: England
Tail Number: G
Certificates Held: PPL Complex Single and Tail Dragger

Next

Return to Mechanics Lounge